Monday, September 29, 2008

Congratulations, Belle!

Congratulations go to Belle, one of our level 6 students, who just won second place in the Daegu Kyoungdong Elementary School English Speech Contest for 3rd and 4th graders!

For those who are interested, below is Belle's speech which she memorized for the competition:

Hello, every one. My name is Kim So-hee, and I'm in the 3rd gradeat KyungDong Elementary School. I am glad to be able to participate in thisEnglish Speech Contest.

Today, I'm going to talk about my summer vacation this year. Most students in this class took a vacationto the mountains or the beach to avoid the heat with theirfamily. However, the place where I made my happiest, greatest, summermemory is not in any famous resort but right in my village.

That is where I performed an English musical with my friends who studied English together with me. I joined the class on the spur of the moment with my English teacher's encouragement, but I had never been in a musical in my life, moreover one in English! I was overwhelmed at the beginning. On the hottest summer day, while I was watching DVDs like 'Annie', 'My Fair Lady', and 'The Sound of Music', I couldn't understand what they were talking about at all, and I wanted to give up so many times.

But as time went on, I could hear and understand, I could talk, and finally I could sing! Soon I became Annie who was singing with hope that someday happy days would come. I became Professor Higgins who was shouting at Eliza, and I became Brigitta who was singing the Do-re-mi song ('Doe a Deer') with Maria in Alps.

Finally, on the 15th of August, about ten days before the beginning of school, we had a performance at the teacher's house before visiting parents. The stage was only an empty floor, chairs, and a table. However, the people gave us a big hand, and I dreamed a dream standing before them. It was to become a world famous musical actress who can impress and give joy not only to Koreans but to people all around the world. Don't you think it's wonderful? To do that, English will be the support I need to runbefore the world.

I will go on to study English after this contest. Of course, it is not always fun and easy. But if I want my dreams to come true indeed, I must take those bad things along with the good--because I have a dream! I have tomorrow!
Tomorrow, tomorrow. I love you tomorrow. You're only a day away.
Thank you.

No comments: